Hullfire online dating
The original tall chimney was taken down in 1956–7. The Humberside pumping station was opened in 1957, adjoining the old West District station and replacing both it and the Sculcoates R. Some fires were fought without engines, with water being taken direct from the mains. Behind the main buildings, in Brook Street, an out-patients' department was built and named after William Bailey, of Winestead. The Anlaby Road Institution (formerly the Hull workhouse) was, after 1948, renamed the Western General Hospital. It was also to absorb the Victoria Hospital for Sick Children. Several shopkeepers were making and using gas for lighting their own premises before, in 1821, the Kingston upon Hull Gas Light Company was established. 71) The company was authorized to supply Hull, Myton, and Sculcoates, and its works were built in Broadley Street, in the Old Town. 72) It never in fact supplied gas to Sculcoates and Myton, which were lit by the British Gas Light Company after it built its works in Bank Side, north of the Old Town, in 1826. There was then no brigade and all the engines were worked by volunteers. 252) By 1866 fire-fighting was one of the functions of the police force; there were then no engines, and hoses were supplied direct from the mains. 253) A separate fire brigade, of nine men, was formed within the police force in 1886, and Sculcoates Hall, in Worship Street, was acquired for the station. 266) In all, 9 miles of horse tramway were built on six routes. In 1884 the hospital had been granted the title of the Hull Royal Infirmary. 357) The conversion of the fever block into a nurses' home was completed in 1888, (fn. There had been accommodation for over 900 old people in 1939; (fn. The new buildings, which were completed in 1966, are dominated by a 14-story ward and administrative block. 392) The other buildings consist of a treatment wing, nurses' home, training block, and boiler-house complex; the architects are Yorke, Rosenberg, and Mardall. 394) The hospital was later modernized but still had about the same accommodation in 1963. 395) Before the establishment of the maternity hospital, the corporation's health work had already included a midwifery service. A private asylum was established in Boteler Street (now Gibson Street) in 1814 by Dr. 93) to supply electric lighting in certain streets in the Old Town, and these were lit—by a private company —late in 1882.A steam fire-engine had been bought two years earlier. The line on Beverley Road was opened early in 1875; that on Spring Bank late in 1876; that on Hessle Road early in 1877; and those on Holderness Road, on Anlaby Road, and through the Old Town to Victoria Pier by August 1877. 267) Steam trams were introduced by the Drypool and Marfleet Steam Tramway Company, which was authorized in 1886 to build a single-track line along Hedon Road and two short stretches in Drypool. 358) after a separate fever hospital had been built (see City Hospital). 371) and in that year the corporation began to make an annual contribution to its funds. 372) Until 1865 medical staff gave their services; then they were paid and the town was divided, for visiting purposes, between three surgeons. 373) In 1887 the dispensary moved to a new building in Baker Street, and it was still there in 1947. 374) It continued independently of the National Health Service until 1957 when its assets were converted into the Hull and Sculcoates Dispensary Aid Trust, to provide help for the sick poor. 375) Under the National Health Service the Baker Street building accommodates a mass radiography unit. In 1873 a hospital for sick poor children, with 30 beds, was opened in a house in Story Street. The Beverley Road Institution (formerly the Sculcoates workhouse) was, after 1948, renamed the Kingston General Hospital. 385) Able-bodied old people were no longer accommodated after 1955, as a result of the provision by the corporation of the Kingston Homes in various parts of the city. 386) Extensive reconstruction of the hospital buildings has since taken place. The ward block has an exposed reinforced concrete framework on its long elevations, with projecting vertical members rising through the full height of the building; the end walls are plain. After the City Hospital moved to Cottingham, its buildings on Hedon Road were in 1929 converted for use as a maternity hospital. In 1926 this service took over the responsibilities of an old-established institution, the Lying-in Charity. 396) This had been founded in 1802 to provide food, clothing, and attention during the confinement of poor married women, and it was supported by voluntary subscription. immediately came under the control of the North Eastern Gas Board, and the B. Both Hull works were retained and by 1960 they were supplying Beverley, Brough, Hessle, Howden, Market Weighton, and Pocklington. 91) The gas offices used after 1948 were those of the B. The new works allowed power to be supplied to an extended area west of the Old Town and for the first time to the east side of the River Hull. 98) The power station has been extended on some ten occasions in the 20th century (fn. On several occasions since then the Sculcoates supply has been supplemented from the electricity grid. 104) In 1933 offices in Ferensway were built to replace those at the power station, (fn. was transferred to this board in 1951 after a period under the Eastern Gas Board. In 1898, when there were 960 consumers, a new generating station was built in Sculcoates Lane. 97) A temporary station in North Street had been used during the winter of 1897–8. Yorkshire Light and Power Company, which supplied a large part of the East Riding. 102) The Central Electricity Board also took supplies from the Hull station: in 1939, for example, almost one quarter of the units generated was used in this way. 103) The whole of Hull's supply area came under the Yorkshire Electricity Board after nationalization in 1948.A vertical emphasis is given by the tall ground floor and by the pilaster strips which divide the bays and rise to a stone cornice supported on brackets of corbelled brickwork. The corporation nevertheless refused to allow the B. On the east side of the river drainage was still largely by open ditches, some of them emptying into the Sutton Drain. 212) New main drainage was provided in the East District in the 1850s, but in 1860 there were 5,300 yards of old covered sewers and 1,500 yards of old open ones still in use, as well as 6,000 yards of new sewers; over one-third of the houses still drained into the Sutton Drain. 213) New main drainage for part of the West District (i.e. 237) A new headquarters building was erected in Queen's Gardens and opened in 1959. In 1680 ladders were added, at the town's charge, and thereafter orders were periodically made for equipment to be bought by the corporation, by individual aldermen, or by the parishes. 239) The first 'engine for casting water' had been bought by the corporation in 1673. A 'little' engine is mentioned in 1744, and two 'great' engines in 1745—one kept at Holy Trinity Church and the other at the weigh-house. 244) Fire insurance is first mentioned in 1747, when charity properties were involved, and corporation houses were ordered to be insured in 1775. 245) Orders for men to be appointed to work the engines in 17 (fn. Electro-medical and vapour baths were added at Beverley Road in 1927, and covered baths were built at Albert Avenue in 1933. The ground floor was rusticated to form a base to an applied order of stone which rose through two stories to support a stone entablature. 401) The 74-acre De la Pole Farm, near Cottingham, was acquired in 1880 and a new asylum, designed by Smith and Brodrick, was opened there in 1883. Within each bay are two round-headed windows, each set in a recessed order of red brick, and linked vertically by a continuous outer order of white brick. The east and west ends of the building are surmounted by open pedimented gables. Sculcoates and Myton) was provided in the 1860s, with a main outfall at Dairycoates. 214) A new outfall was built nearby for the Newington area in the 1870s and linking sewers for the West District were completed in 1877; sewage from Cottingham was also discharged into it. 215) One significant improvement to the drainage of the Old Town was the construction, authorized in 1880, of new sewers to divert the main outfall from the Ferry Boat Dock to a point near the east end of Humber Street. 216) Until this time drainage throughout the town had been discharged into the Humber through gravity outfalls. 235) The first police stations were in Blanket Row and Jarratt Street, but in 1852 the corporation acquired the former workhouse, Charity Hall, for a new station, with its entrance in Parliament Street; part of the building was used for quarters for about 60 policemen. It was kept in Holy Trinity Church and was operated, in 1694, by the weigh-house porters and meters. 240) A new engine was bought in 1706 and the purchase of another from Amsterdam was under consideration in 1715. 241) Rewards were paid to men who assisted at fires, and in 1736 a man was enfranchized for his help with the engines, to encourage others to do likewise. 242) In 1743 thirteen men were appointed to exercise the engines once every two months, each to receive 2. 246) suggest that the earlier brigade had ceased to exist. The arcaded base of the portico has segmental heads to the openings. 1838, when new premises were built in Asylum Lane (later Argyle Street).
Until the mid19th century the cleansing of the dikes was to be a constant concern of the corporation. 10) The idea of replacing the open dike by a covered conduit was already in the air in 1438, when Joan Gregg bequeathed £20 for the purpose provided the work was done within two years. 11) When the county of Hull was extended in 1447 both Derringham Well and Derringham Dike were taken into it, and at the same time the town was licensed to acquire springs and to convey water from them 'by subterranean leaden pipes and other necessary and suitable engines ()'. 12) In 1449 North Ferriby Priory gave permission for pipes to be laid on its land between Springhead and Hull, (fn. 16) until 1461, when the lead was ordered to be dug up and sold; in 1463 an obit for Holme was founded by the corporation in restitution for the sale of lead that he had given. 17) The conduit had run within the town walls, for the lead in Whitefriargate was ordered to be taken up in 1467. 18) With the return to the system of open dikes, special attention had to be given in 1462 to the condition of Busdike. 19) Hull's rights in part of the area added to the county of the town in 1447 were disputed by Haltemprice Priory in the early 16th century. 29) In 1655 Sir John Barrington complained that the corporation had for long disputed the rent due to him for Derringham Well. 82) taking over works in Sitwell Street which are said to have been started the previous year by John Malam. 85) and it was then empowered to supply the rest of Garrison Side, and also Marfleet. to 9 p.m., 'not being moon shine night', from 22 November until 1 March. 126) The order was reaffirmed in 16, and revived in 1629. 127) The hanging out of lanterns is mentioned again in 16, but the failure of householders to do so led to a suggestion in 1682 that public lights should be provided: it was thought best, however, to wait and see what happened in London, where this was also under consideration. 128) In 1699, after having been long neglected, the old order was again reaffirmed. 129) Lights for the streets—presumably oil-lamps— were in 1713 ordered to be obtained in London; (fn. 132) declared that there were no public lights and sought only to prevent damage to those about to be provided by householders, but in the same year the corporation gave £60 towards a subscription for lighting the streets. 133) In 1762 the corporation was itself authorized to set up lights, (fn. 146) and the east side of the River Hull was lit by the K. In Hull and Myton their scavengers were to cleanse the streets twice a week. 175) In Hull, however, the assessors were to continue raising the rates, and it seems that they in fact also continued to supervise the work. 176) Their appointment, for the Old Town, carried full responsibility once more after 1840. 177) The corporation then agreed to pay them £35 a year for the places usually cleansed at the town's expense, and they were to have all streets cleansed three times a week. 344) The corporation was licensed in 1902 to provide a telephone service, and in 1904 it opened an exchange in the former bath premises in Trippett Street. The reinforced framework is exposed, and there are panels of green slate below the window sills, as well as buff-brickwork panels extending through the upper floors. 'Lincolnshire' was dropped from the name some time after 1930 and 'Dumb' in 1957. The corporation Welfare Services Committee (established in 1948) has provided old people's homes in various parts of the city, under the general title of 'The Kingston Homes'. The Hull Temporary Home for Fallen Women was opened in Nile Street in 1861, and enlarged in 1864 to accommodate about 50 women. 429) In 1900 Alfred Mayfield gave a house in Evans Square for the home and it remained there until 1939, when it was closed for lack of funds. The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen, founded in 1821, established an orphan institution in 1838. The Hull Seamen's and General Orphan Asylum was built in Spring Bank in 1865–6, largely at the cost of John Torr, of Liverpool. From behind the pediment rises an octagonal lantern. The district of the Newington Local Board was taken into the city in 1882, together with the Newland area of Cottingham, and the corporation was authorized to build a pumping station at the outfall. In the East District some new main sewers were laid in the 1880s and 1890s, and a new outfall was built at the east end of Alexandra Dock. 219) There had previously been outfalls near Victoria Dock and opposite the gaol. 220) At Alexandra Dock a pumping station was completed at the new outfall in 1897. 221) A new gravity outfall was also built at about this time when the Sculcoates R. The flat nature of the area set a limit to the extension of sewers away from the various outfalls, and subsidiary pumping stations inland were needed to drain the new housing estates built after the First World War. Only the Beverley and Barmston Drain and parts of the Setting Dike and the Cottingham Drain are to remain open. New outfall and trunk sewers were built in 1945–9, and a new pumping station, close to the old one, was opened in 1950. 225) In 1964 work was started on a sewage disposal works near the River Hull to serve new housing areas in Sutton. 226) As in west Hull the agricultural drains were gradually being abandoned and filled in; only the Foredike Stream and the Holderness Drain will remain open. 227) Until 1800 the policing of the town was carried out by a handful of constables: in 1701, for example, two were appointed for each of the six wards, and one for Myton. 228) These men were later supplemented by watchmen appointed by the improvement commissioners, a procedure authorized in 1801 for Sculcoates and 1810 for Hull and Myton. 229) In 1833 there were 44 regular constables, and 72 watchmen in Hull and Myton alone. 230) The commissioners were to provide watch-houses, and in 1829 a lock-up for Hull and Myton was established in the former house of correction in Fetter Lane. 231) The keeper of the lock-up was dispensed with in 1836 when a unified police force was established. 232) At its foundation the force consisted of a superintendent, 4 inspectors, 3 acting inspectors, 9 sergeants, and 77 constables. The corporation in 1810 considered threatening to withdraw its engines from service if the insurance offices would not agree to contribute towards the expenses. was empowered to buy the Holderness Road line of the H. 270) though it was seven years before this take-over took place. Two backward projecting wings were added in the 1850s and 1860s. Fever cases had hitherto been accommodated in the main building, but in that year a separate fever block was built behind the infirmary and named after a benefactor, William Watt, of Bishop Burton. 356) With the help of a centenary fund, extensive alterations and additions to the main building were completed in 1885, according to designs by H. To the north-west block was added a new wing, named after the brothers David, Charles, and Arthur Wilson. 398) About 1825 the proprietors took over, for female patients, an asylum at Summergangs Hall, in Holderness Road; this had been a private retreat since 1798, and in 1823 had come under the management of Dr.